About our laboratories
HSCRB laboratories and facilities are situated in the Bauer-Sherman Fairchild science complex on Harvard University’s Cambridge campus. We are a joint department between the Harvard Faculty of Arts and Sciences and Harvard Medical School; accordingly, some members of our faculty also have laboratories on the Longwood Medical campus and at Massachusetts General Hospital.
- Our laboratories occupy approximately 90,000 square feet in the complex.
- HSCRB laboratories employ nearly 250 post-doctoral fellows, graduate students, technicians and core staff members.
- Our research is supported by sponsored awards and federal grants.
The Assistant Director of Laboratories (ADL) oversees the safe, effective operations of HSRCB labs as well as the many facilities associated with the department. The ADL advises faculty, researchers, students and staff members on matters pertaining to safe, compliant and efficient laboratory operations; the ADL liaises with other Harvard University entities on microbiological safety, radiation use, and controlled substances.
Laboratory operations comprise:
- Departmental core facilities including HSCRB Laboratory Service Cores (Glass Wash/Media, Histology and Flow Cytometry)
- Departmental research core facilities including the IPS cores and Therapeutic Screening core.
- Laboratory resources, construction/renovation, animal facility resources, space assignments, shared equipment
- Equipment management, equipment inventories, and equipment purchases
- Laboratory Operations, Safety and Compliance; Point person for Lab Managers and laboratory staff
Conducting research effectively, efficiently and in a safe and compliant manner is essential to accomplishing the Department’s research mission and protecting the University’s primary mission of education and research and ensuring that its members exhibit and promote the most outstanding research.
The Research Compliance team oversees departmental compliance with federal, state, local and university regulations regarding animal research, animal experiamental protocols, human subjects research and protocols, embryonic stem cell use protocols and induced pluripotent stem cell use.
Contact Joe Vaughan with questions pertaining to animal research, microbiological use, anything to do with laboratory policies, procedures and protocols including research, compliance and safety, including:
- Experimental animal care and use, experimental animal protocols and IACUC policies
- Importing and exporting animals to and from Harvard
- Microbiological safety (COMS) registrations and use
- Material Transfer Agreements (for research animals and components)
HSCRB Core Facilities: contacts
- Basic Lab Services (Glass Wash/Media Prep) capabilities, training and scheduling in the HSCRB Lab Services Core: Contact LaTasha Jakes
- Histology capabilities, training and scheduling in the HSCRB Histology Core: Contact Cathy MacGillivray
- Fluorescence-activated cell sorting (FACS) capabilities, training and scheduling in the HSCRB-HSCI Flow Cytometry Core: Contact Joyce LaVecchio
HSCRB-HSCI Research Centers and Core Facilities: contacts
- Induced Pluropotent Stem cells and iPS services and capabilities in the HSCI iPS Core: Contact Laurence Daheron
- Bioinformatics, Cheminformatics and Therapeutic Screening capabilities in the HSCI Therapeutic Screening Center: Contact Lee Rubin