Joseph Vaughan, Assistant Director of Laboratories, has overall responsibility for the day-to-day, operational procedures for our labs, including microbiological safety (COMS), radiation use, and controlled substances.
HSCRB’s points of contact for Harvard’s Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) committee are Beverly Neugeboren and Mary Lindstrom who helps our laboratories manage biological, chemical, physical, and radiological hazards proactively.
- Contact Joseph Vaughan for all HSCRB laboratory safety, safety training and scheduling, and safety procedures in HSCRB laboratories.
- Contact Beverly Neugeboren for EH&S biosafety, biosafety training and scheduling, and biosafety procedures in HSCRB laboratories.
- Contact Mary Lindstrom for EH&S lab safety, laboratory safety training and scheduling, and any safety-related procedures in our laboratories.
- Updated SAA signs that don’t have the lab contact info at the bottom.
- Current version of the Laboratory Safety Orientation Checklist for new group members.
- Weekly SAA Inspection Checklist – to be done by the group’s LSO or other designated person.
- Annual Lab Inspection Checklist – used by me and Beverly when we inspect labs.
- EH&S training webpage with information on managing lab training rosters.
- AIMS – Assessment and Inspection Management System for PPE Assessments and inspections. If you can’t log in and view your group’s information let me know.
- Guide to conducting PPE Assessments in AIMS.
- EH&S Labels and Stickers template page.
- EH&S Lab Safety Guidelines and SOPS page, including one on peroxide-forming chemicals.
- Exposure Control Plan – please fill out the lab-specific parts of this and keep in an accessible place for lab members.
- Hepatitis B Vaccination Offer Form – please have one of these on file for each member of the lab who works with human cells. This can be kept in the same notebook as the other safety paperwork
- Local Transport of Biological Substances.
- Biosafety at EHS – all links you might need related to biosafety including link to COMS (under Biological Project Registration).
- Hydrogen peroxide wipes that can be used instead of 10% bleach in your biosafety cabinets.
Department Shared Equipment
Storage and freezer services
HSCRB has temporary emergency back-up -80C freezers and short-term auxiliary freezer storage space for the laboratories. Both -80C freezers can be reserved for two week periods on the reservation calendar. HSCRB also has a -20C freezer that can be moved to labs for use during defrosting freezers. Contact Joe Vaughan for further information and access to reservation calendar.
VWR Stockroom provides Dry Ice that is sold by weight in the basement of the Biolabs for emergencies and for routine lab needs.
HSCRB scientists can access common reagents quickly. For example VWR has a supplied stockroom in the basement of the Biolabs and New England Biolabs has 24/7 stockrooms located on the Harvard Cambridge campus (NEBnow) and near the Longwood campus (HMS BPF NEBnow).
Biological waste disposal for laboratories in the Bauer and Sherman-Fairchild buildings is managed by Beverly Neugeboren, Laboratory and Biosafety Officer in FAS Environmental Health and Safety.
Work Requests for Building Operations
- Presto request for facilities-related issues.
HSCRB Flex Rooms and Calendars
HSCRB provides flexible touchdown spaces throughout the department for all HSCRB members. All spaces are available by reservation only. Contact Joe Vaughan for access to reservation calendars.
All HSCRB Flex space areas and rooms must be reserved prior to use. Include surname, lab and room number when signing up.
List of spaces and links to viewable calendars are below.
(1 cubicle in Admin office)
(2 cubicles in Admin office)
(2 private offices – limited access)
Guidelines for use:
- rooms should only be used for Harvard-related work.
- rooms must be reserved in advance and booking times should only be for the time needed, as these rooms are shared by many individuals.
- these spaces are not intended to be used for eating or drinking.
- individuals must remove all personal items and clean all surfaces after use.